Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting Back to Simpler Times

Everyone is on this kick, right?  "I want to eat clean, I want to eat real food, I want to simplify my life."

But, why? Well, maybe because our world has become filled with processed food, toxic products in our kids toys, and a chaotic lifestyle that doesn't allow us the time we need to live our lives in a simple and clean way.

So,what does that mean for our family? It's about doing what we can, when we can, and trying to get back to a simpler way of living. I think back to my grandmother and how she managed food--she grew her own veggies, and made everything "from scratch." Fast forward to my childhood, my mom did the same, for the most part, until the advent of convenience foods, then our diets changed. I am not going to take time to bash manufacturers for making these foods, or for Americans buying them. This blog isn't about me sitting on my soapbox, it's about outlining goals for my family and managing them one step at a time.

And, it's not just about food, it's about every area of our lives and how we can decrease chaos, increase healthy eating and living, and simplify, simplify, SIMPLIFY!

So, how are we going to do this? I am starting by setting goals for myself, and our family, and will tackle them one at at time.

Goal 1: Decrease Chaos: I will start by reducing my physical chaos with the amount of toys and things we all have around the house. Then, I want to look at priorities in my life, for example, do I really need that extra playdate? Can I get my produce or groceries delivered instead of going to the store?

Goal 2: Increase Healthy Eating: I already eat pretty healthy myself, but my daughter is picky, and let's face it, as a busy mom we sometimes eat packaged food. My goal is to "join the food revolution" and clean up our eating as much as we can and eat whole and organic food when we can.

Goal 3: Increase Healthy Living: In addition to healthy eating, I want to focus on healthy living and getting back to what I love, the great outdoors! We used to hike all the time, and I used to focus on exercise, I need to get back to that and include the kids. Keeping a healthy/toxin free house is also a component of this gooal. Using non-toxic cleaning products, finding green toys, when I can, etc.  This one, I am going to make up as I go and ask for help along the way.

Who else wants to join me in this journey?!

No comments:

Post a Comment